Since 21stMay, the Museum of Israel in Jerusalem has had two 15th century illuminated volumes on display, which the public can admire until 20th September. This is a minor event which brings together, after centuries, two parts of the same work: a copy of the Mishne Torah by Moses Maimonides produced in northern Italy around 1457. The initiative was made possible by the collaboration between the Museum and the Vatican Library.
(g.s.) – Since 21st May, the Museum of Israel, in Jerusalem, has had two 15th century illuminated volumes on display, which the public can admire until 20th September. It is a minor event which brings together, after centuries, two parts of the same work: a copy of the Mishne Torah, the code of Talmudic law written by the philosopher, doctor and scholar Moses Maimonides (also known as Rambam), a figure who towers over the history of Judaism and Jewish thought (to the extent of even being called the “second Moses”).
He was born in Cordoba in 1135 and he died in Cairo in 1204 and is known to the Arabs as Abu Imran Musa bin Maimun bin Abd Allah. He lived and studied amongst the Arabs from his youth, after having been forced to leave his native Spain with his whole family. He settled first in Fez in Morocco, then in the Holy land and lastly in Egypt, where his earthly journey came to an end.
The two tomes of the Mishneh Torah on display now at the Museum of Israel formed a single work produced in northern Italy around 1457. Little is known about the author of the miniature except a vague name – Nehemiah – nor are the reasons for the separation of the two volumes known. After various vicissitudes and passing from one hand to another over the centuries, today the two books have different owners; one is part of the collections of the Vatican Library, the other was bought jointly in 2013 by the Metropolitan Museum of New York and the Museum of Israel. For the first time they are side by side, for a few months, thanks to an example of collaboration between the Vatican and Israeli cultural institutions.
The loan by the Vatican is, to some extent, a gesture of tribute to the 50 years of activity of the Museum of Israel, which celebrates this anniversary this year.
The simple ceremony of inauguration of the exhibition, on 21st May, was also attended by religious authorities such as the Chief Sephardic Rabbi of Israel, Yitzhak Yosef, the apostolic nuncio Archbishop Giuseppe Lazzarotto, the Greek Orthodox patriarch of Jerusalem, Theophilos III, and Bishop Giacinto Boulos Marcuzzo, Vicar for Israel of the Latin Patriarch. A small delegation of friars from the Custody of the Holy Land, including the dean of the Studium Biblicum Franciscanum, Fra Massimo Pazzini, was also present.
The Franciscan Custody of the Holy Land has announced the launch of a new website dedicated to the Basilica of the Annunciation of Nazareth. Published in four languages (Italian, English, French and Spanish), it presents up-to-date and in-depth information, divided into various sections.
The Palace of Versailles, just outside Paris, house an exhibition called Treasure of the Holy Sepulchre. Gifts from European Royal Courts to Jerusalem from 16th April to 14th July. This is a particular event: for the first time 250 “unknown” masterpieces that were sent to Jerusalem over the centuries are on display in one place.
Israel's entire archaeological archive has been posted on the Internet and will be publicly available later this month, the Israel Antiquities Authority announced Jan. 16th. Thousands of documents tracing archeological discoveries in Israel/Palestine in the past 100 years will be published in an online database in the coming days.
The NGO of the Custody of the Holy Land - ATS Pro Terra Sancta - has released a 14-minute video that provides a three-dimensional exploration of the basilica of the Holy Sepulchre, covering various eras. The animation allows the viewer to see more of the basilica which is often difficult to visit in its entirety because parts are closed to visitors or reserved for the various religious communities that officiate worship in the church.
A temporary exhibition on Jerusalem between the 11th and 15th centuries is showing at the Metropolitan Museum of New York until 8th January 2017. The exhibition include objects from the Custody of the Holy Land.
A short walk from Jerusalem lies the monastery of Latrun, which is important from both a religious and a historical point of view. The monks produce a healing oil from the seeds of red grapes.
The photographic exhibition Nostalghia, on show until the end of November 2016 at the Austrian Hospice in Jerusalem, is the result of a journey through the Christian minorities of the Middle East.
In recent decades, Walajeh, a small West Bank village located south of Jerusalem, on the road leading to Bethlehem, has been experiencing many changes due to geopolitical instability in the area. Only this olive tree seems to have kept its existence unchanged for hundreds, or perhaps thousands, of years.